Sunday, April 5, 2009

From Restauran Melaka



Fried Cuttle Fish and Assam Fish Head from Restauran Melaka at Kampung Air Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

May not be exotic enough but they are among the most delicious I have ever tasted with such unique taste not found any where. It must be the cook.

Despite the name of the restauran, I can't seem to be able to find this taste in Malacca itself. It is actually a chinese restaurant but these are cooked in Malay styles.

My wife had failed to replicate these dishes despite trying so hard and we have tried other restaurants but to no avail. These food could have inspired by the Malaccan dishes but had been modified by the cook to make it truly Sabahan.

3 comments:

EMi said...

Hi.. I used to grew up in sabah a long time ago and right now I am craving for my childhood sabah food. I hope you can help me where to find it. I am planning to visit sabah in a couple of months.

1. Gula Halus
I don't know what its actually called, I think it was rambut kuda or something. It was sold in gaya street I think by an old man on a bike. The gula its brown in color and looks like a cotton candy. Taste like caramel.

2. Cakoi Kaya + Planta
A street food serve hot! The long cakoi is smothered with kaya + planta and chopped into small pieces.

Hope you know where it is.. :D

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad said...

I thought they are chinese food but in China they don't mix kaya with butter whereas in Sabah, so many cakes are mixed with them.

So maybe they are indeed exotic and unique to Sabah. I shall post a few more photos of these cakes.

Anonymous said...

Assalamu'alaikum WR WB.
Salam kenal
Blog Bagus
www.pambiwara.co.cc